First off, Mariah Carey was and still is one of the best-selling music artists of all time and the third best-selling female artist in the U.S. She has five Grammy awards, 19 World Music Awards, 11 American Music Awards, 31 Billboard Music Awards, more number-one singles than any other solo artist, AND a five-octave vocal range. Ok, so she may not still have all five octaves, but the point is Mariah has earned her diva heels. Cut the lady some slack and consider these five reasons why Miss Mariah was a little bit off-key at the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony:
1. Miss Mariah is currently in the middle of consciously uncoupling from her marriage with Nick Cannon and according to People Magazine she missed the pre-taping on Tuesday because she was on the phone with lawyers for FIVE hours before taking to the stage late. We all know that talking on the phone to or about your ex always screws up the rest of the day.
2. Miss Mariah’s dress always is was too tight. It’s hard keeping tune when you can’t even breathe.
3. Maybe she needed a Snickers bar. Oh wait, maybe it works the other way around. Click here to get clued in on the Snickers/Diva thing.
4. Mariah didn’t have her signature bedazzled microphone. A diva cannot sing into a gilded mic, it must be diamonds! Diamonds! Dammit!
5. Mariah has been singing in five octaves for over two decades and some of those octaves are starting to retire. But that’s alright, because her once pristine voice is preserved on numerous multi-platinum albums.
We agree with QueenofLuther in the comments section of The Concourse who said, ” this is unfair and the asshole sound guy who leaked this should be fired.” Shake it off, Mariah!