The Cho Show: The Ethnic Kathy Griffin Show?
At first Blindie was skeptical of Margaret Cho’s The Cho Show because we were already big fans of Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List but after watching an episode we’re starting to come around.
Cho has filled her show with the same props as Griffin -her gays, her comedian friends, her parents, and a lot of inappropriate jokes but manages to trump the D-Lister with a few extras.
Here is a short list of Cho Show extras that are quickly winning Blindie over:
1. Cho’s hilarious impersonation of Koreans, including her parents.
2. Her parents are sub-titled every time they talk, even though they are speaking English!
2. Funner, cooler comedian friends like Bobby Lee, Wanda Sykes -and they’re ethnic!
4. Her assistant on the show is Selene Luna, the diminutive “one-of-a-kind entertainer.”
5. Sound bites like these: from her stylist “…even though you ain’t Chinese, but no one knows the difference,” and Cho describing her bikini wax as “a Fu Manchu.”
6. Cho’s parents passively pressuring her to have children by buying her a traditional Korean baby outfit -for a boy, no less!
7. Cho is tattooed and potty-mouthed and sometimes displays a “sister girl” attitude, a la Kimora Lee.