Posts Tagged Bryant Park
Posted on October 16, 2008 with 5 Comments
In Bravo’s farewell episode of their fashion competition hit, Project Runway, Blindie shed tears with Korto Momolu as she became so close to becoming the first black designer to nab the garment-making title since Season One’s Kara Saun!
While girl power was the theme of last night’s finale, we still felt cheated because not only did Korto have the most cohesive collection, she also constructed two extraordinary additions within 24 hours of her Bryant Park debut.
Yes, Blindie’s ecstatic that Miss Kenley Collins (arguably the biggest villain since Season One’s Wendy Pepper) didn’t nab the title with her knockoffs of Balenciaga and McQueen, but we’re also equally annoyed that the one-note Leanne Marshall nabbed the ultimate win.
Here are Blindie’s top 10 moments:
- After refusing to listen to Tim Gunn and saying, “my decisions are final and I’m done with it!” Kenley FINALLY takes Tim’s advice when he suggests a different model should wear the wedding dress from the last episode. “Tim has a point!” she finally relents.
- Leanne’s model Tia brings her dog Sophie to the fitting and the tiny thing takes a big ol’ poop on the floor! “Go poop on Kenley’s and Korto’s collection now” Kenley tells the dog. “You better keep that f—ing dog away from my s—.” Kenley barks back.
- Leanne and Kenley are total opposites and total haters! “Leanne doesn’t know how to use colors and I think it’s a little boring,” Kenley says of Leanne’s muted collection. “Kenley’s line looks really…Holly Hobby. It’s just like someone’s child has been like painting all over Kenley’s collection,” Leanne criticizes.
- Heidi Klum announces at the start of the Bryant Park fashion show that Jennifer Lopez will not be the guest judge because of a “foot injury.” Which now seems hilarious considering Lopez competed in a triathlon a few days later.
- When Tim Gunn is announced as Lopez’s replacement as guest judge, Kenley is shocked and suddenly repentant, “Are you kidding? Ok, maybe I should’ve improved my attitude,” she says.
- “Can I tell you one thing? It is necessary to know what’s going on,” Michael Kors tells Kenley when one of her designs reminds the judges of a Balenciaga dress. This wasn’t the first time – in a previous episode it was Alexander McQueen. Kenley actually accepts his advice, “yeah, I realize now, maybe I need to do some research.”
- The judges rave over Leanne’s one-note, wave inspired, petal-like designs but Michael Kors is worried that she’s going to be known as the “queen of the petals.” He jokes, “you’re gonna be know as Petals Marshall, which sounds like a stripper not a designer.”
- Lots of familiar faces from previous Runway seasons at the Bryant Park show including Romy, and a very toned down “licious” Blayne wearing black instead of his usual neon colors -but still tan!
- Our hearts bled when Korto didn’t make the cut especially when she testified to the Lord again “thank God, Jesus!” and when she presented her collection at Bryant park and shouted “Enjoy it! Don’t I look hot!”
- We love when Leanne shouts into the crowd after the show at Bryant Park, “buy all of my clothes so I can pay my rent next week!” But we would have loved to see a bigger reaction from her when she won. Not Extreme Makeover: Home reaction, but something worth writing about!
Posted on October 9, 2008 with 1 Comment
The four remaining designers retreated to their homes to not only work on a collection that will hopefully see the light of day at Bryant Park, but also design a wedding dress. When they returned to New York they were hit with the ultimate challenge -creating a bridesmaid dress!
Here are Blindie’s top 10 moments:
- Gunn expresses concern over a dress in Korto’s collection that features a gaping slit that Gunn describes as “sexual.” He’s also a little worried over Jerell’s embellished collection because he wants it to “still be believable.” Ouch! Jerell had promised us he was “gonna be constructing pure magic” with his $8K!
- During his home visit to the designers, Gunn is treated to Korto kicking off her shoes and banging it out on African drums, and a tandem bike ride with Leanne.
- Jerell breaks down in tears as he talks about his father who worked so hard driving trucks to move his family out of the Compton ghetto.
- Korto promises “no, I’m not gonna snap on anyone,” after Kenley volunteers herself to be the snapped on and reminds Korto that she had already ripped into her during the last challenge.
- Michael Kors and Nina Garcia gush over Leanne’s wave inspired wedding dress. “I have to say, this is so chic and beautifully crafted,” Kors says. “It’s modern, but it’s dreamy,” Garcia adds.
- Kenley finally wins rave reviews from all of the judges even though Michael Kors thinks her wedding dress is “a little Alexander McQueen.” But adds, “the bridesmaid dress is the cutest damn dress I’ve ever seen.”
- Kenley is respectful, thankful and pleasant to the judges and a bit surprised by all of the compliments, especially the usually disapproving Heidi Klum who exclaims, “I think it’s crazy good.” To which Kenley gushes “Oh my gosh, Heidi I love you!”
- Kors tears apart Jerell’s “garish” dress citing his “boob jewels” and “the flower pot growing out of [the model’s} head” as major disasters.
- We had high hopes for Korto until we saw what the judges called her “overworked” wedding dress and “underworked” bridesmaid dress. Shoulda been bangin’ out an impeccable dress and not on the drums!
- We had to hold back tears when Heidi told Jerell he was OUT! But we were cracking up when he defended his “overwrought,” “hog wild” dresses by declaring “if you want a basic white tee you can get one from Michael Kors…it’s just not what I do!” Work it out, Jerell!
Tags: Alexander McQueen, Bryant Park, Heidi Klum, Jerell, Kenley, korto, Leanne, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia, Project Runway
Category: ObamaNation, Project Runway, TV
Posted on October 2, 2008 with 1 Comment
It was down to the wire as Jerell, Kenley, Korto and Leanne battled it out for the chance to show at Bryant Park. They each designed a dress inspired by flowers they saw at the New York Botanical Garden and then proceeded to throw each other under the proverbial bus.
Here are Blindie’s best moments:
- Kenley and Leanne aren’t talking to each other. “I’m not interested in even pretending I like her,” Kenley says as she blames Leanne for not representing her design properly on the runway in the last episode.
- We love that Jerell is the last man standing! Not counting his little fruit friends, Joe and Suede.
- Korto is reminded of her mother’s garden in Africa when visiting the Botanical Garden and declares, “I think I’m gonna win this one for my momma!”
- Kenley misplaces her bag of tulle and everyone takes glee in watching her scramble to find it. “I refuse to assist her in any way,” Jerell says as both he and Korto stingily hoard their material.
- After testifying “in the name of Jesus, I am going to Bryant Park!” in the last episode, we were not surprised to see Korto reading her bible!
- Kenley’s “purple-zilla costume” of a dress is ripped to shreds by everyone: “What is she thinking?…this tube dress with scales,” Jerell says and Nina Garcia says “it looks like a reptile but not in a good way – it looks creepy.”
- Korto disappointed us with an uncharacteristically cliched, and pageant styled dress.
- Kenley breaks down in tears, after dishing a big heap of attitude to the judges, and gushes “I feel like I’ve been fighting my way through life…it’s a force of habit.” She even apologizes to the judges!
- Jerell, and Leanne throw Kenley under the bus -with both hands!- as they tell the judges why she shouldn’t show at Bryant Park, citing her tired 1950s style.
- At some point in the show each designer breaks down in tears!
- Heidi Klum, Michael Kors and Nina Garcia tell Kenley off for her “flippant and smug” attitude and defensiveness. “It’s a little bit annoying,” Heidi says.
- Jerell wins again! Heidi describes his design style as “elegant edge.”
- Korto tells Kenley off for trying to throw her under the bus! Hello? It was Jerell and Leanne who pesonally attacked your style not Korto. Why would you choose Jerell and Leanne as the two other designers to take to Bryant Park? Korto has a child, a husband, a deferred dream and Jesus, she is going to Bryant Park!
- Tim Gunn hugs it out with the designers backstage and tells Kenley to “let bygones be bygones” - but Kenley wants nothing to do with the group hug!
- And the twist -no one is out! All four designers get to go home and create a line for another round of judging!
Tags: Bryant Park, Heidi Klum, Jerell, Kenley, korto, Leanne, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia, Project Runway
Category: Fashion, Project Runway, TV
Posted on September 24, 2008 with 5 Comments
The five remaining designers turn up the volume and hit a few wrong notes as they create outfits inspired by a music genre -for each other!
And it’s not all that harmonious as Suede designs a rock n roll look for Jerell, Kenley tackles a hip-hop look for Leanne, Korto punks up Suede, Jerell tries to makes Kenley pop, and Leanne countrifies Korto.
Here are Blindie’s top 15 moments:
- Leanne steals Suede’s model Tia, because she felt “Suede had a real advantage...this is a competition and Tia is a real asset.”
- Korto warns Suede “if you have any problems with anything, I prefer if you tell me to my face before Tim gets here because I don’t want to have to snap on you in front of Tim! Okay?!”
- Korto shutting down Kenley as she tries to move in on her meeting time with Leanne – “No, your 30 minutes were up 30 minutes ago! I’m gonna get Hip-Hop on you in a minute!”
- Korto testifies like she’s in church! – “I have to own it, I have to claim it. In the name of Jesus! I am going to Bryant Park!”
- Kenley rapping and Korto doing her best Dolly Parton! Too much!
- Tim finally tells Kenley off as he tries to clue her in to the fact that her design may not hip-hop “You need to listen. It will it benefit you as a designer. It will help if you remove the sarcasm and the facetiousness.
- Kenley’s over confidence that annoyed Leanne in episode nine is back with avengeance! “What does Tim really know about hip-hop anyway,” she argues. “I definitely know more about hip-hop than Tim does.” And this is after she picks out a floral fabric and says it looks like grafitti. Hello, the year is 2008, grafitti hasn’t been a part of hip-hop since like over a decade.
- Kenley tries to blame Leanne for her out of tune look – “Leanne is not trying to sell my look. She looks like a big fat poser.”
- Heidi Klum introduces guest judge LL Cool J as a musical innovator and a style icon. Funny, everywhere else he’s called a rapper.
- Korto’s honkytonk badonkadonk! Heidi even compliments the silhouette of her country backside – and did we hear a little Borat accent there? – “very naaace.”
- Kenley catches serious attitude as the designers rip apart her un-hip-hop look!
- Suede looks like a low rent Boy George in Korto’s punk look. But he did rock it down the runway!
- We love how Jerell sexes up Kenley into a pop princess! And apparently we’re not the only ones loving Kenley Spears because when Heidi says she wanted to see more support in the chest, LL Cool J quips “they look supported!”
- We’re happy Korto won the challenge, but we totally feel Jerell was robbed! Just like in episode 5!
- The preview for next week’s episode has Jerell, Korto and Kenley CRYING! We…can…not…wait!
Posted on September 10, 2008 with No Comments
If we’ve learned anything from Project Runway it’s that the road to Bryant Park is paved with delusions of grandeur, bitchy designers, odd challenges, and plenty of surprises.
First, the designers learn they have to pair up with their eliminated colleagues, which elicits practical eye-rolling from everyone. Then the immunity is yanked away. Finally even more former Project Runway designers (both winners and losers) show up to vote on their designs at a pre-runway showing.
Here are Blindie’s ten best (and bitchiest!) moments as the designers created a look inspired by their zodiac signs:
- “Don’t-call-me-darlin” Terri proves she’s not a team player when she warns, “If I’m paired with Keith, it’s not gonna be pretty.” And when she is paired with Keith, she suggests, “Maybe he can count the pins that fall on the floor.”
- Keith warns Terri, “Just be gentle with me right now – kind of fragile,”–referring to his recent elimination. Umm, you were kicked off two whole shows ago. That’s two weeks in television time. Get over it!
- Cat fight alert! “Kenley is insanely overconfident about her design and she seems so loud about it… it’s just beyond annoying,” Leanne complains. This doesn’t go unnoticed by the usually jovial Kenley, who says, “I can see Leanne and Emily rolling their eyes…I’m just having fun and some girls don’t like that.”
- Christian Siriano makes an appearance!
- Kenley gets feisty as she defends her “Mickey Mouse” creation: “If Heidi’s talking nonsene, I’m gonna step in and kind of set her straight!”
- More hammering from Stella and even more ‘tude! When Blayne asks, “How much more of that hammering do you have to do?” Stella replies, “What, you want me to hammer your head in too?”
- Blayne’s haphazard “one-legged monster” design causes Heidi to groan, “Ooooh thaaat’s baaaad,” and Michael Kors to exclaim, “She’s pooping fabric!”
- Michael Kors describes Terri’s creation as a “kind of voodoo princess from hell.”
- Yet again Suede is referring to himself in the third person and Michael calls him out on it: “Excuse me you’re certainly not ready for this third person kind of lingo… I think there’s a lot of self-delusion happening today.”
- Jerell finally wins a challenge! Guess he wasn’t being delusional when he said, “There is just a flow and an elegance to this look that you’d have to be blind not to see.”