Fast & Furious, the fourth installment in the sereis of speed demon flicks starring Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Paul Walker and Jordana Brewater zoomed to the top spot in the box office raking in $72.5 million and breaking a plethora of records.
Here are the shattered records as reported by EW.com:
* Best April opening ever, beating Anger Management’s $42.2 mil
* Best Universal Pictures opening ever (three-day), beating The Lost World: Jurassic Park’s $72.1 mil
* Best F&F franchise opening ever, beating 2 Fast 2 Furious’ $50.5 mil
* Best opening yet in 2009, easily beating the bows of the more-buzzed-about Monsters vs. Aliens ($59.3 mil) and Watchmen ($55.2 mil)
* Best opening ever for stars Diesel, Paul Walker, Michelle Rodriguez, and Jordana Brewster, as well as for director Justin Lin
Bonus: Best opening ever for a car-themed movie! (Beating Cars’ $60.1 mil.)