Saturday Night Live turned 40 with a three-and-a-half hour live episode on Sunday, and a reunion of cast members. Here are Blindie’s top 5 moments from the extra-long episode.
1. Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake’s Rap Intro
The duo payed tribute to the various SNL sketches and catch-phrases over the years through song and dance, and kind of nailed it. Best SNL intro we’ve seen in quite awhile.
2. Bradley Cooper Making Out With Betty White.
This had us laughing, then cringing, and then turning the channel until the skit ended.
3. That Guitar Player We All Love!
SNL brought back that guitar player that would always steal the scene with his riffs and crazy faces -you know the one. Apparently his name is G.E. Smith and he was the musical director on Saturday Night Live. He was also the lead guitarist with Hall & Oates and the lead guitarist with Bob Dylan’s touring band during the late 1980s.
4. The Star-Studded Audience.
Forget the guest stars, Blindie spied a whole bevvy of celebrities young and old, but mostly old, in the SNL 40 audience. There were the obvious attendees like Ellen Kleghorn, Al Franken, Tom Arnold, Jim Breur (Goat Boy), and then there were the unexpected like Steven Spielberg, Michael Douglas with wife Catherine Zeta-Jones, former Yankees Manager Joe Torre, Mel Brooks, Jeff Goldblum, Paul Rudd, Sarah Palin, Sheryl Crow, Matthew Broderick and George Lucas with wife Mellody Hobson. Here is the complete guest list.
5. Eddie Murphy, Dammit!
Original SNL cast member Eddie Murphy showed up, got a standing ovation, and didn’t even have to perform. Now how’s that for star power? After all, he did have the biggest career out of all of the cast members over the years.
New York City-based photographer Tricia Messeroux of Toddlewood Studios has recreated celebrity red-carpet looks of the 2015 Grammy celebration using kids. The result is, of course, adorable and also better than the original in some ways.
We’ve selected our favorites:
1. Rihanna – As soon as we saw Rihanna in that flouncy oversized tutu from Giambattista, we thought she looked like a five-year-old playing dress-up. Looks like we were right.
2. Beyonce – This little girl’s red-carpet smile and presence seems a bit more natural and real than Beyonce’s robotic pose.
3. Kanye West and Kim Kardashian - This kiddie recreation of Kimye makes Kanye West’s stone-faced look seem even more childish when he’s mimicked by a five-year-old.
Little League phenom Mo’Ne Davis takes Kevin Hart to the hoop during the NBA All-Star Celebrity Game. We knew Ms. Davis could wreck it out on the diamond, but we had no idea she could destroy punks on the court. Although we do love us some Kevin Hart, and we kind of feel bad that he got schooled by a 13 year-old.
Mariah Carey took to the stage on January 30th at the 2015 Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival to do what she does best….change outfits numerous times, sit down, allow the audience to sing most of her songs, and oh yeah, lip-sync.
To the diva’s credit, she did hit her infamous high note, the “whistle register,” for like a second.
Blindie still loves you Mariah because you are trying (really hard) to hold it down.
Lupita Nyong’o sashays to her car after leaving Moonshadows’ Blue Lounge in Malibu, CA on Saturday.
If anyone knows the designer of this hot little number Lupita is rocking, please let Blindie know. Apparently the Brazilian website Missaodresslike.br thinks they have found the economical equivalent of Lupita’s outfit. Emphasis on the words, ‘thinks they have found.’
First off, Mariah Carey was and still is one of the best-selling music artists of all time and the third best-selling female artist in the U.S. She has five Grammy awards, 19 World Music Awards, 11 American Music Awards, 31 Billboard Music Awards, more number-one singles than any other solo artist, AND a five-octave vocal range. Ok, so she may not still have all five octaves, but the point is Mariah has earned her diva heels. Cut the lady some slack and consider these five reasons why Miss Mariah was a little bit off-key at the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree lighting ceremony:
1. Miss Mariah is currently in the middle of getting rid of divorcing Nick Cannon, and according to People Magazine she missed the pre-taping on Tuesday because she was on the phone with lawyers for FIVE HOURS before taking to the stage late. We all know that talking on the phone to or about your ex always screws up the rest of the day.
2. Miss Mariah’s dressalways is was too tight. It’s hard keeping tune when you can’t even breathe.
3. Maybe she needed a Snickers bar. Oh wait, maybe it works the other way around. Click here to get clued in on the Snickers/Diva thing.
4. Mariah didn’t have her signature bedazzled microphone. A diva cannot sing into a gilded mic, it must be diamonds! Diamonds! Dammit!
5. Mariah has been singing in five octaves for over two decades and some of those octaves are starting to retire. But that’s alright, because her once pristine voice is preserved on numerous multi-platinum albums.
We agree with QueenofLuther in the comments section of The Concourse who said, ” this is unfair and the asshole sound guy who leaked this should be fired.” Shake it off, Mariah!